Rhode Island Library Day
Saturday, April 13, 2019
RILA invites you to participate in the 5th Annual Rhode Island Library Day on Saturday, April 13, 2019, which ties into ALA's National Library Week (April 7th-13th, 2019). The theme of this year is “Libraries = Strong Communities,” and we encourage you to take this opportunity to highlight and celebrate the many ways you support the individuals and institutions within your communities.
In addition to fine amnesty, are numerous ways that libraries can participate, both big and small. Some ideas for activities and events from public libraries celebrating last year’s Rhode Island Library Day include:
Author visits or guest lectures
Raffles and door prizes throughout the day
Storytimes by special guests (local/state government officials, local celebrities, etc.)
Crafts and makerspace activities
Special youth programming (magic shows, entertainment, etc.)
Technology open houses
Tours for the public
Please remember to promote this on social media and to use the hashtag #rilibraryday.
We encourage you to invite your legislators. Feel free to use this template: Sample Letter for Inviting State/Local Officials. Find your legislator using through RILA's new Advocacy Tool.
Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org with your planned events and activities so that we can promote it on the website and include it in the press releases.
We will be featuring libraries that participated last year. If your local library is not on this list, check out their website or contact them (If your library is planning something and you would like us to add your library to this list, please email us).
Participating Libraries (Partial List)
Note: all RI public libraries will be providing amnesty for library fines
Cumberland Public Library
- The Cumberland Public Library will be holding their 5th Annual Harry Potter Day on Saturday, April 13, 2019 from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- The theme this year is “Festival of Wizards”.
- Events include “Millicent’s Metamorphagus Makeup”, “Maurice and his Magical Balloon Animals”, “Readings by Sybill Trelawney”, a live chess game, Quidditch for Muggles and more!
East Providence Public Library.
East Smithfield Public Library
- will be participating in Amnesty Day and we will have a special presentation on Local History and Historic Cemeteries at 1:00 p.m. Frank Floor.
Jamestown Philomenian Library
- Kids Book Market A Kids-Only Used Book Market! $2.00 for Hardcover books, and $1.00 for Paperback books. For Kids, Run by Kids! Saturday, April 13, 10:00am - 2:00pm
- POETRY:FREE Event! The Jamestown Arts Center & the Friends of the Jamestown Philomenian Library celebrate Poetry Month! The program starts at 6 PM in the JPL Meeting Room with readings from ambassadors from the Rhode Island Youth Poetry Initiative. Outgoing ambassador Cleo Sincere will read her work along with new ambassadors Katherine Sawosksi and Tyler Cordeiro. Following the library readings and a poetry-guided walk across the street to the Jamestown Arts Center, poets Jen McGlanaghan and Afua Ansang will share their stunning work. The evening winds up with a performance by hip hop artist Vega and refreshments. This one-of-a-kind collaboration offers an evening of rich and talented voices celebrating the beauty of the spoken word. Saturday, April 13th, 6:00 pm – 9:00 pm
Jesse M. Smith Memorial (Harrisville)
- Magic Show with The Great Baldini 11:00-12:00
- Friends of the Library Mini Book Sale 10:00-1:00
- Fine Amnesty Day participation
Lincoln Public Library
- The Rainbow Beard Show, a creation of Ricky Katowicz who brings his puppets and sense of humor for kids and adults. He is a regular at AS220 in Providence with his interactive and engaging show.
- The program is sponsored by the Friends of the Lincoln Public Library. This is open to all ages, best for ages 3 and older.
- Please Register https://lincolnlibrary.libcal.com/event/5161659
Newport Public Library
Tiverton Public Library
- Got fines? Bring in any overdue library materials and we'll forgive any fines attached to those items
- Visit the Children's Room from 11:00am-1:00pm for a bookmark craft. Visit the library lollipop tree for a special treat and a chance to win a book.
- From 1:00-3:00pm, bring your own light-colored T-shirt to the Community Room and learn how to screen-print our custom Library Day design.
- Don't forget to shop from our newly stocked Book Nook, care of the Friends of Tiverton Libraries.
West Warwick Public Library
- From Monday, April 8th to Saturday, April 13th, the West Warwick Public Library will be having a "Food for Fines" Amnesty Drive. Patrons may bring in any non-perishable food item (if they can) and overdue fines will be removed from their account. All proceeds will benefit the West Warwick Senior Center Food Pantry.
- To celebrate RI Library Day on April 13th at 11 AM, we will be having a musical performance by Burkina Yacouba. Yacouba plays soft relaxing sounds on the West African Kora instrument. The concert is free and open to the public and there will be an opportunity to purchase his new CD after the concert.
If you are looking for material to use to help promote the event in your library here are some templates: